Marquette County
Solid Waste Management Authority

Acceptable Materials

When attending our HHW collections please stay in your vehicle and we suggest that you wear a mask for your protection and ours. Thank you.



All fluorescent bulbs must be in boxes. All other HHW materials brought to the collection site should be in their original container if possible. If you cannot bring the material in the original container, please label the container as to prevent dangerous mixing of chemicals. Different materials should never be mixed. If a container is old or damaged, please place it in a clear plastic bag.


Below is a comprehensive (but not exhaustive) list of the materials accepted at our HHW collections.

  • Antifreeze
  • Artists Paint
  • Asbestos Containing Paints
  • Ballasts – Must be removed from the fixture.
  • Batteries – Standard, alkaline, rechargeable, and button batteries are accepted and should be placed by type in zip-lock plastic bag. Tape the ends on 6 volt, 9 volt, C’s, D’s, Lithium, and watch batteries.
  • Car Batteries – Take your car battery back to the place where it was purchased. If that is not possible, place the car battery in a plastic-lined cardboard box and take it to the HHW collection site.
  • Cleaners & Polishes
  • Creosote
  • Epoxy Catalysts or Hardeners
  • Fire Extinguishers
  • Flammables
  • Fluorescent & Compact Bulbs – All sizes will be accepted but must be properly wrapped to prevent breakage at collection site. All bulbs including 4′, 8′, and compact fluorescent bulbs must be boxed.
  • Gasoline – Because of the dangers involved in pouring gasoline, containers holding contaminated gasoline will be placed, as is, into the collection drum and will not be returned.
  • Lead or Mercury containing paints
  • Metallic Mercury & Lead
  • Moth Repellents
  • Motor Oil & Oil filters – Put each material into its own clean, dry plastic jug (milk jug with screw top is good), seal it well, and label it! Containers with oil will be emptied and given back to you. If you have more than 50 gallons of oil, please call to schedule an appointment (906) 249-4125. Place oil filters in a sealed plastic bag. Please do not mix products!
  • Nail Polish & Remover
  • Non-regulated Home Medical Waste – This includes insulin syringes, IV needles, lancets, etc. The material should be sealed in a leak-proof and puncture-resistant container such as a milk jug or 2-liter soda bottle (PETE plastic). Label the container with the type and volume of the waste. This will be placed directly into the sharps container at the collection site. For more information on where to bring medical sharps please visit our Sharps page.
  • Oil Base Paint, Stains & Varnishes
  • Pesticides
  • Photographic Chemicals
  • Pool Chemicals
  • Propane Tanks (20 lb max)
  • Solvents
  • Thermostats
  • Transmission Fluid
  • Weed Killers
  • Wood Preservatives

Unacceptable Household Hazardous Waste

Some items are too dangerous to be handled at our facility. Below is a list with other resources that may help you decide what to do with the waste.

  • Unidentifiable or Unlabeled Materials: Be sure to keep all materials separated and labeled to prevent dangerous mixes.
  • Latex Paint: Latex paint is not hazardous. For usable latex paint use it up or give it to Marquette Wallpaper & Paint (906) 228-8376 if the paint is in its original can and is less than three years old and is in good condition (no rusty, frozen or hardened paint). Alternatively, you may pour the paint out onto newspaper, allow it to dry and throw it away with your regular trash.
  • Asbestos: Do not attempt to remove, handle or transport asbestos containing materials without contacting the EGLE Air Quality Division or an asbestos abatement contractor (See yellow pages for listings).
    • EGLE Air Quality Division, (906) 228-4853
    • The State Health Department – Environmental Health Division, (517) 335-8762
  • Radioactive Materials: This includes things such as smoke detectors. These should mailed by UPS to the manufacturer (Not USPS).
  • Explosives, Picric Acid, Dried Ethers: For these materials please contact the State Police at (906) 475-9922.